What would your Mom like better than flowers, chocolate, a card, a phone call, or breakfast in bed? A letter written straight from your heart!
Some people are intimidated by the thought of writing a letter of appreciation. So we’re offering the format below to help you compose yours. Just answer the questions, then put the answers all together into a letter. The letter of appreciation that you create will touch her heart like no other gift you can give.
(By the way, you can use this format to write a letter anyone you love.)
Use the questions below to help you write your letter:
Q1: What is an early memory you have of your mom? Try to include specific sights, sounds, smells and feelings as you describe it.
Q2: What’s one physical feature of you mom that you really like? Describe how she makes you feel.
Q3: What personal qualities make your mom special? How have you noticed those qualities impacting others?
Q4: Do you have a favorite memory with her? Describe it and tell why it’s so special.
Q5: Do you have hopes for your future together? Hopes for her future? Tell her what they are.
Q6: Has she given you any advice or wisdom that still guides your life? Remind her of it, and express your gratitude for her.
Q7: Do you have a loving thought/prayer for her? Close with that.
- Hand write the letter
- Put it on pretty stationery
- Mail it if it will get there in time
- If it won’t get there in time, mail it anyway and call her on Sunday to let her know something special is on its way
- If you live in the same town, hand deliver it on Sunday
- If your mom will be traveling that day, and is with a companion, give it to the companion to hand deliver on Sunday
- Find a quote about moms that you really like and write it out after your signature
- Frame and wrap a photo of the two of you to take it up a notch